I’m a dork.
I keep trying to pretend I’m a lady of taste and sophistication, but I’m just not. Given that I’m finally outing myself (in public; I don’t think anyone who actually knows me has ever been fooled), I thought I’d share some things about myself that you really ought to know.
- I own a thinking cap.
This is only the latest incarnation. For the longest time, it was a stuffed donkey toy. Then it was a stuffed frog toy. Then it got too hard to get up from the desk to chase children while balancing toys on my head, so I switched to a strap-on.
2. Dr. Who wins.
If you just asked “Wins what?” then you clearly need to watch this show. Now. Stop reading. Go watch.
3. I wear a fake blue streak in my hair when I want to feel cool.
4. My husband buys me fake flowers. And then I use them as fairy wands and turn my children into gophers, dogs, and nuns. You should try it sometime.
5. I wish I was awesome enough to do steampunk. If I were, I’d actually be tempted to go to a convention. And if you know how allergic I am to revealing in public that I’m not just a dork but also a nerd, you’d know how epic that confession is. (By the way, if you think steampunk is awesome you need to go check out Jenn at Epbot. She’s my hero.)
6. I know what an ion cannon is. And when I finally build my x-wing, I’m going to find a way to equip it with one.
7. I quote Shakespeare and Dickens and a bunch of other dead people. A lot. And then I giggle inside when no one realizes I did it.
8. I like writing research papers and I love school. I often spend hours on the internet learning just plain stuff. Please don’t kill me, and send any paper-writing requests with large, unmarked bills.
Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to leave my high school worries about people liking me behind and be a refined, dorky lady just like I’ve always wanted to be. Finally find that meeting place between all my interests where one doesn’t have to exclude the other. Till then, I’ll wear my blue streak twisted into my bun and wonder if Shakespeare and steampunk should have a meeting of the minds.
How do you make all your interests work together?